An interview with Glasgow’s The Imagineers for your reading pleasure.
1. How did the act form & how long have you been playing on the Edinburgh scene?
We all met at a mutual friend’s wedding about a year and a half ago and the band didn’t show up. We were all having a drink and joking about getting up on the stage as we were all musicians with various projects.
We were eventually persuaded to get up and played some chart stuff and jammed some blues. We decided to have our first jam a week later and haven’t looked back. We played our first gig in Glasgow’s Pivo Pivo in the summer of 2010. We have got really into the Edinburgh scene lately playing with cool bands like The Stagger Rats and Pose Victorious.
2. Who are the best bands on the local scene – the ones you go and see, the ones you’d actually buy CDs from?
In Glasgow we like Figure 5, The Rudiments, Kassidy and Selective Service. In Edinburgh we like Emelle, The Stagger Rats and Pose Victorious.
3. What’s your favourite venue for playing in, and what’s your favourite venue for watching a gig in?
Glasgow: we love Nice n’ Sleazys or Stereo.
Edinburgh: The Voodoo Rooms or Sneaky Pete’s is good in the capital.
4. Where/when (and why) was the best gig you’ve played in Edinburgh?
The best gig we played in Edinburgh was a few months back in the Voodoo Rooms. The crowd were really receptive to our music and seemed to get it; the other bands on the bill were also on great form. It was just one of those Saturday nights where everything falls into place for everybody involved. The drinks were up at crazy prices but it didn’t ruin the vibe, people will find a way to get drunk.
5. If your act was an animal, Pokémon, mythical creature or superhero – which one would it be?
We are actually quite like the channel 4 news team in the movie Anchorman when we walk about together, bumping into other bands and starting riots.